A man in his 80s from Suffolk County has died from coronavirus marking the state’s first death from the contagious disease, health officials reported Friday.
The man had been hospitalized and had pre-existing health conditions that put him at higher risk for COVID-19, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health said.
“I extend my heartfelt sympathies to the family and friends who lost their loved one,” said Gov. Charlie Baker. “We are living in uncertain and challenging times, and our administration is bringing every available resource to bear in the fight against this disease, and remind everyone in our Commonwealth to continue to work together, follow social distance protocols and look after each other to keep our communities safe.”
To date, 3,132 residents of Massachusetts have been tested for COVID-19 by the State Public Health Laboratory and commercial labs. Of those, 328 people have tested positive.